Jimpress

Welcome to the Jimpress Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... ix-tribute

Steve Rodham

Relaxed and extremely chilled (it's snowing).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:56 am 

Oh I don't know, he could support Burnley :-)

I really wonder why there has been so much fuss from Classic FM regard the blocking of Little Wing at the upcoming RAH gig.
Nigel Kennedy’s interpretation of the piece can be found on his 1999 “The Kennedy Experience”, Sony Classical SK 61687 with the track in question running fractionally short of eleven minutes. While the CD is a couple of decades it old remains highly recommended with Kennedy accompanied by Emma Black, Doug Boyle, John Etheridge, Doug Heath, Rory McFarlane, Kate St. John and Gerri Sutyak.
Covering 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be), one of the total of six Hendrix penned songs on the CD, Kennedy here expresses enough understanding of not just the music but of an understanding of Jimi Hendrix the musician. Few covers of Hendrix material (and I’ve heard quite a few) can quite match this. Clearly Kennedy has not simply chosen a popular artist to cover here; he has a deep understanding of his subject.
Likewise Little Wing, a song often taken to the extreme when covered, especially by guitarists. Understandably there has to be a degree of licence in interpretation, especially given when a song is presented as an instrumental.
Hendrix, when performing this live never once over played this piece, from its initial sub 2 ½ minutes studio debut on Axis. Bold As Love [1967] to what is the longest captured recording from Winterland 1968 at 3.45. The 3.11 timed presentation at the Royal Albert Hall 1969, often and quite rightly deemed the finest live performance of this song captured on tape can be found on the original “Hendrix In The West” [vinyl and CD: Avoid the more recent outing of this title from Experience Hendrix / Sony if the RAH performance is sought as this newer outing of the title does not include that RAH performance but that of Winterland] or [more expensively] Experience Hendrix’s “The Jimi Hendrix Experience” 2CD / 8 LP box set.
Unfortunately and quite common in fact, guitarist’s covering the song in question often over egg things for little reason seemingly other than they can! There was a reason Hendrix kept this piece short and that had nothing to do with Chandler’s at the time management and production style and influence. Little Wing: Far too often we find covers of Hendrix’s Haiku pushed to Iliad proportion.
Here, with Kennedy stretching the piece to just short of eleven minutes it feels “right”, nowhere near an Odyssey. Enough time to convey the music without that over cooked and less than understood feel found elsewhere.
Really, eleven minutes and all of this fuss! Enough fuss for the artist in question to feel aggrieved to the point of withdrawing from the concert performance.
For Classic FM to deem that this song be “not unsuitable” for the stations audience seems somewhat odd given the station does indeed often give broadcast time to many interpretations of popular [none classical] music. While this fuss is not something that will prevent me from turning my dial [literally in my case] to the aptly renamed Jurassic FM it has got me re-evaluating the stations intent, or has it?
If Nigel has a Hendrix itch he feels the need to scratch I’m confident he would have an audience for such a tour.