Jimpress

Welcome to the Jimpress Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:00 pm 

This issue has been discussed on a number on occasions by many, not just within the constraints of Jimpress either. It was recently raised once again when I was questioned if a Jimpress review did indeed lead to the support (promotion, furtherance) of any given boot’.
This cropped up in a conversation between a Hendrix collector and a bootlegger in which the ‘legger clearly stated …….. but it was reviewed in Jimpress no less (not a direct quote, but you get the feel for the argument). Most bootleggers are far what we once understood them to be. Yes, they always had that opportunism attitude but now it is so much easier to pick up a free collectors recording and promote a copy as an item of value and why you the (gullible) collector should go out and pay for this item. I recently noticed some of the ATM releases being sold on ebay for gods sake!!

I know that while bootleggers (at least the more ruthless, opportunist type) exist it does prevent the open sharing of many items (both visual and audio) of Hendrix. It is not as if many of these items are of commercial value and the likelihood of official release is very slim indeed. In short, if they are not shared then we don’t get to see them, leading to the hoarders mentality / attitude.
No I don’t blame Jimpress in any way, if someone is so gullible so be it, reviews or otherwise will not change that. But if boots are not reviewed the question is, what do Jimpress review?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:27 pm 

Surely, the vast majority of Jimpress reviews are helpful and informed warnings *against* bootlegs! It's good to know what's out there, but for a long time now most of the reviews seem to say "this is what is on it, you've probably got it already, and only buy this one at your peril". As far as I'm concerned that is excellent information and I'm very grateful for it. Please keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 am 

jp needs to review everything of intrest to hendrix fans.i think they've made it perfectly clear over the years that they dont condone bootlegs.remember"if you need to keep up to date with all things jh then you need a subscription to jp".

no new boot reviews might mean no new ben franklin updates.you cant let that book go out of date as its a invaluble resource to the hendrix community.

when i first started reading jp i didnt know what i had in my collection.5 or 6 years later my entire collection makes sense and i have a alphabetical index to all the outtakes and jams in it.this would not have been possible without the boot reviews and ben franklin.

yes jp needs to review everything.authorized stuff,bootlegs ,shoe polish and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.if it has hendrix on it somewhere we need a review.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:12 am 

Please, please keep reviewing ALL Jimi releases! When I purchased the Ben Franklin books on publication I reorganised my Hendrix vinyl and cd collections in the order they appeared in the books and it is so helpful when debating whether to purchase new items and to check if i have already got it. I have over a thousand items and JP has proved invaluable. The only slight criticism on the official side was that there was no appearance for The Singles Album, Cornerstones etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 pm 

I don’t advocate the removal of this section of JP, its merits are too great. But are we overlooking material that should be reviewed, both official and material being circulated within collectors circles (readily available material).
It may be that the way in which Boots are reviewed. Maybe this simply requires a fresh look.
Ben Franklin, well that really sits slightly apart from the Boot reviews. Why? Well FTBFS does not review any material, simply lists and references / cross references material.
One of the points I am trying to make is this. Do we need bootlegs anymore? As collectors can we not get EVERYTHING ever issued on a bootleg for free and as a rule in far superior quality elsewhere? From my perspective a really daft question, of course we can.
TO BE CONTINUED …………………………………….

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 am 

the simple answer would be to expand the page count and or eliminate stuff thats not as important.depends on what the priorities are.maybe a change in the way the magazine is layed out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:44 pm 

another suggestion.keep jp the way it is but add a digital companion to each issue as needed.you could put longer articles ,collectors disc reviews and anything else that would not fit in the regular issue there.any one who wants it would pay a small fee and you could email them the file.just make sure they can print it out incase their hard drive crashes.

doug sulpy does this with the 910,a beatle publication of reviews for fans, and it seems to be working well for him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 pm 

I really believe the boots should always be reviewed, I love them especially when there on vinyl.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:48 pm 

TimGreenhall wrote:
I really believe the boots should always be reviewed, I love them especially when there on vinyl.
:D

Hi Tim,
Vinyl, now that's a real boot :-)