Jimpress

Welcome to the Jimpress Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Miami
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Admin

The usual seamless, slick operation then...

=============================

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:34 pm 

So, I'll open a book then, ha ha.

Odds for a before year end Miami release, evens
November release is 2-1
while a pre November release sits at 5-1

Given the detail we at least know that not only has a RAH doc / concert set been made and sits waiting for release but also Miami doc' / concert set(including Newport? bits and pieces? etc).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:43 am 

Info from The New York Times.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/ ... mber/?_r=0
September 5, 2013, 12:34 pm 1 Comment
New Hendrix Documentary to Be Released in November
By ALLAN KOZINN
Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock in 1969.Larry C. Morris/The New York Times Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock in 1969.

A new two-hour documentary DVD about Jimi Hendrix and a compact disc with a previously unreleased concert 1968 recording by the Jimi Hendrix Experience will be released on Nov. 5, as the concluding installments of a yearlong commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the guitarist’s birth.

The documentary, “Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin’,” will also be shown as part of PBS’s “American Masters” series the same day the DVD version is released. Sony Legacy, which is releasing both discs in a collaboration with Experience Hendrix, the production company overseen by the guitarist’s estate, issued “People, Hell and Angels,” a collection of studio outtakes, this year.

The concert disc was recorded at the Miami Pop Festival on May 18, 1968, when the Jimi Hendrix Experience was at its height: the group had released its second album, “Axis: Bold as Love,” the previous December, and was working on the follow-up, the two-disc “Electric Ladyland,” which would be released in October 1968.
“Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin’” will be released in November. “Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin’” will be released in November.

Hendrix gave two performances at the Miami festival, and the album is drawn from both. Included are Hendrix’s earliest recorded concert performances of “Hear My Train a Comin’” and “Tax Free.” The set is otherwise devoted to familiar classics – “Hey Joe,” “I Don’t Live Today,” “Red House” and “Purple Haze,” with versions of “Foxy Lady” and “Fire” from both the afternoon and evening shows.

Recently discovered film from the outdoor concert also figures into the documentary, which is directed by Bob Smeaton. Mr. Smeaton’s other music films include “The Beatles Anthology,” “Festival Express” and several installments of the “Classic Albums” series, as well as several Hendrix projects: “Hendrix: Band of Gypsys” (1999), “Jimi Hendrix: The Dick Cavett Show” (2002), “Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child” (2010) and “Hendrix 70: Live at Woodstock” (2012).

“The biggest challenge,” Mr. Smeaton said in a telephone interview from London, “was that having done a number of Hendrix projects in the past, I had to find a way of getting everything I wanted into the film without having it run six hours, and without having it turn into the same film I did in the past. You’ve got to hit certain points: when he came to London, when he played Monterey, certain albums, Woodstock, building his recording studio. But you also want to get a different take. And that’s the hardest thing – trying to stay fresh.”

One way Mr. Smeaton did that was to rely mainly on people who knew and worked with Hendrix. And though he includes plenty of interviews with musicians who collaborated with Hendrix, Mr. Smeaton said that he was most taken with the observations by the women in Hendrix’s life.

“In the past, I’ve interviewed mainly guys,” Mr. Smeaton said. “And with guys, it always comes down to, ‘He was a great guitar player, he looked good on stage, he died too young.’ And that’s all true. But the women offer a different take. They say ‘He was shy,’ or ‘He was gentle.’ The women bring an interesting insight, and maybe for once we know more about him.”

Mr. Smeaton added: “The other things that’s important, when you make a film like this, is that you try to get to the real musicality of the guy, rather than just ‘here we go again, another guitar solo.’ There’s a section where Eddie Kramer, his producer, is sitting at the mixing desk, playing each of the four guitar tracks on ‘Little Wing.’ Each part is different, and when you put them together, it’s orchestral. So you hear about Hendrix playing the guitar with his teeth, or behind his head. But he knew what he was doing. And that sometimes gets overshadowed by the crazy hair and the other stuff.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:09 pm 

It would be great if EH would also release a 2CD set of both shows rather than an "album drawn from both" performances. Who is to say that Hey Joe (or whatever) is better from one concert or the other?
But heyho, it's only 45 years after the event!
Mal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:29 pm 

Buggered if I know who is releasing exactly what!!
As for trying to second guess EH, i gave that up a long time back. I just go with the fact that what is not released on this set will turn up as a bonus on something else (maybe an expanded WCSB box set!!!) along the line.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 am 

Fehmarn! Are you kidding me? I think I'm going to faint

http://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Hear ... mi+hendrix

This special Blu-Ray presentation of Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' presents the definitive documentary about the extraordinary life of the greatest guitarist of all time, now in high definition video.

As seen on American Masters (PBS), this critically acclaimed film, directed by Bob Smeaton (The Beatles Anthology; Festival Express), unveils previously unseen performance footage and home movies while sourcing an extensive archive of photographs, drawings, family letters and more to provide new insight into the musician's personality and genius with interviews with Hendrix himself, commentary from well-known friends and musicians including Paul McCartney, Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, Eddie Kramer, Steve Winwood, as well as revealing glimpses into Jimi from those closest to him. The film details the meteoric rise of the Experience, the creation of his groundbreaking music, the building of Electric Lady Studios, his state of the art recording facility in Greenwich Village and concludes with poignant footage from his final performance in Germany in September 1970, just 12 days before his death at age 27.

A pioneering electric guitarist, Hendrix had only four years of mainstream exposure and recognition, but his influential music and riveting stage presence left an enduring legacy.

BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE 13 PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN PERFORMANCES ONLY AVAILABLE ON THIS DVD :

MIAMI POP FESTIVAL: 5.1 Stereo

Never before released color film footage of the group's legendary May 18, 1968 festival performance, including "Foxey Lady," "Tax Free," and "Fire" together with interviews with festival promoter Michael Lang and engineer Eddie Kramer.

NEW YORK POP FESTIVAL: 5.1 Stereo

Never before released color film footage of the group's July 17, 1970 festival performance, including "Message To Love," "Lover Man," "All Along The Watchtower," "Purple Haze," and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)."

LOVE & PEACE FESTIVAL: Official 'Bootleg'

Newly discovered archival film footage of the final performance by the Jimi Hendrix Experience on September 6, 1970 at the Isle Of Fehmarn, Germany. Includes "Killing Floor," "Spanish Castle Magic," "All Along The Watchtower" and "Foxey Lady" and an amateur soundtrack recording recorded by the festival promoters using stage microphones.

TOP OF THE POPS:

View the March 30, 1967 appearance featuring the group performing "Purple Haze"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Blimey!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:42 pm 

Preview! Wow!
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... n-20130909

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think this adds anything but it's the official word from John McDermott. Might warm Gordon's cockles though.

The Miami shows will be on a CD and a 2 LP set. The 2 LP will be an 'all analog' mastering done by Bernie Grundman. It really sounds great.

The HMT doc is being done for PBS here in the US, BBC and broadcasters throughout the world. Two hour film that covers Jimi's entire life.

The DVD and BR DVD have some special features that fans will really enjoy. What exists of Miami will be presented plus some interesting film of NY Pop, Fehmarn and a clip of "PH" from '67. EK did stereo and 5.1 mixes for Miami and NY Pop and it sounds great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:12 pm 

Thanks Steve, thanks John :D
cockles are well warm as is the TT!