Jimpress

Welcome to the Jimpress Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

I am continually being asked for various volumes of FTBFS 4th edition. At some point in the middle distance I am going to have a (very) limited number of copies (re)printed. I would be interested in opinions on how to do this, even if you don't intend purchasing one. There are many options, which do you think is most sensible? I won't cloud your judgement with my opinions but I do have a lot of them.

1. Just print some more copies as it is.

2. Update Part 1, correct any known errors in the other parts with minor additions here and there. Put the extra stuff (new releases etc.) in a (thin) Vol.7.

3. Bite the bullet, take the abuse, and call it the 5th edition, the one after the final one. Fully updated with everything in the right place.

4. Same as (3) but combine Parts 1, 2, & 3 into a horrendously expensive, huge volume and combine Parts 4, 5, & 6 into a horrendously expensive, huge volume.

5. Same as (4) but A5 size. A pocket Ben, if you will, if you have pockets the size of a wheelbarrow.

6. Just go and lie down in a darkened room and listen to Rainbow Bridge until the madness passes.

Discuss.

=============================

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:05 pm 

I´d prefer alternative 3!
...and then no. 6... :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 am 

#3 gets my vote.
#2 would be 2nd choice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:13 am 

I would definitely be interested in a 5th edition - option "5". I couldn`t afford to buy the 4th edition in one go, buying the books one by one wasn`t a good option as you could potentially end up with just half the books and be out of pocket AND annoyed so didn`t start on that either. If shrinking the volumes to A5 size would significantly reduce the cost "5" would be an ideal solution - my life is a bit empty without a proper up to date FTBFS reference book...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments so far. The last one prompts me to think there is an option (7) which would be the same as (3) but A5 size. I'll look into how much cheaper that would be. It would halve the very significant postage for non-UK buyers before I even look at the actual book cost.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:24 am 

Taking price/cost into it, 5 would be my preference. I´m mostly interested in parts 1-3, which would be handy to have in one book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 am 

Reading this with a huge amount of disappointment to be honest!
Just to have to contemplate the cost of buying these again ................................. !!!!

So some points back to you Steve.

Firstly an e book. Cost effective and updatable. Nothing gets lost in the post. Or maybe simply taking this on line here at the forum with access for JP subscribers?

Beside cost all round, think of that small rain forest that will forever be held known as the Jimi Hendrix saved rain forest!!

My concern is that I may need to think about buying this lot again in an updated form for no other reason than the initial run was too small or some folk never bought them when they had a chance! I find that a little off putting to be honest.

If the only option is a paper option, how about this.
Reprint the books as are, no updates or corrections but in mini format, this would be more cost effective to the buyer plus a lot less paper used.

Back this up with an update volume every X years. Though the update would really have to be full size I guess.

Reading back on this I have to say the e book makes the most sense for everyone imo. These need not cost a fortune either. Updates for free on a periodical basis.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for all your comments. I still have no idea what the plan is, or even if there is to be one. But a few backatchas:

I'd love to do it as an ebook but there are two things preventing me doing so:
1) By the end of the month there would be 10 versions of BFS in circulation and by the end of the year there would be 100 or more.
2) I have BFS on both my large and small Kindles. It's handy to look up an odd thing when I'm on the road but it's worse than useless when doing any serious work. You simply can't flick back and forth like you can with a real book.

I have had to discount the A5 options despite the cost making a compelling case for going down that route. The font size would be so small in part 1 that it would be a real pain to read. If I increase the font size, apart from the formatting becoming a nightmare, the book would become the same weight as before just short and stout instead of tall and slim.

I'd like to do Parts 1-3 as a single book but there are two very significant cons to this.
1) It costs twice as much to post 2 books in one parcel than it does to post two books individually. Yes, cheaper for two parcels than one parcel of the same combined weight. And we wonder why the Post Office is screwed up.
2) Some people only want Part 1 or Part 3, they would have to buy stuff they don't want. Obviously they are bonkers not to want it all but that's their choice

I'm going to put Rainbow Bridge back on repeat play now. And have a beer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

I've had some beer, Gary's had some beer (Well, I say some, as it's Friday he's probably had quite a lot) and Part 1 has been reread, corrected, and awaits a few tweaks from a couple of incoming boots. You'll be able to see if I ever muster the funds to print a few on the top secret (until I press send) BFS page:
http://www.jimpress.uk/benfranklin.htm
Now shhh, tell no-one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Part 1 when we've recovered from chocolate overload.