Jimpress

Welcome to the Jimpress Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jimi’s best show
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 pm 

Essentially housebound in upstate New York except for the occasional grocery run (ie, successful beer / toilet paper fail), and being a non-facebooker, wondering if there’s interest here in a thread.

Having finally put together a complete composite of Jimi’s 4-26-69 Forum show, I’m thinking it’s my favorite. The crowd is lively, Jimi is upbeat and funny as ever, and he takes several songs beautifully out to about 10 minutes.

If anyone wants to add their favorites and maybe discuss, that’d be great. If not, that’s okay, just please be well.

Post subject: Re: Jimi’s best show
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm 

Over here in England we may as well all be under house arrest, it wouldn't surprise me if that became official HM Government policy at some point. If there is one personal benefit it is that I have to work from home, which affords me the opportunity to have Jimi in the background all day long. I certainly could not get away with that at my place of employment!

Back to the thread. Best or favourite?

Either way I am finding it near impossible to choose. I could not even choose the best/favourite Winterland or Fillmore East (BOG) show, never mind one from his whole career. I will always have a soft spot for the first two shows I received decades ago when I found out performances were recorded privately back in the day and amazingly (to me at the time anyway) were still available to collectors; Flamingo Club, London, 04/02/1967 and KB Hallen, Copenhagen, 03/09/1970.

When it comes to best or favourite it so happens I prefer Los Angeles Forum 1970 to 1969, but that is just my preference. I am not saying one is better than the other, just expressing a preference.

If I am going to nail my colours to the mast I would say my CURRENT favourite is Royal Albert Hall 24/02/1969, but it has only been upgraded to current favourite status because I was lucky enough to see the concert film a few months ago. No doubt I will have a different favourite soon enough.

Anyway, let us see what other subscribers think.

Thank you,
Giles Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Giles has opened up a whole new can of worms with "best or favourite." My favourite has always been LA Forum '70, I just wish there was a soundboard. I think that is coloured somewhat by my love of the original vinyl bootleg.

Best show? Hard to see past Berkeley but a couple of the shows on the last European tour are smokin'.

And just to stir it up a bit more, best version of a particular song - "Little Wing" from RAH.

===================================

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:02 am 

"Favorite" may have been the better term to use. In other words, everything considered, what's your favorite Jimi Hendrix concert?
Sound quality / crowd, etc. are important--but what's you're favorite overall experience. Got to take another look at LA'70.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:27 pm 

The 2 Berkeley shows have always been my favourite. It's just a shame the crew who filmed the first show were off their heads.

Hear My Train Comin' being my favourite live track along with Stone Free from RAH and Killing Floor at MPop.

With me being stuck working from home for the last couple of weeks, I've been going my through my Hendrix catalogue. One of the Paris shows stood out for me. Can't remember if it was the one from 67 (Dagger Records) or 29/01/68 from the Astro Man boxset. Anyway, it was a goodie. I'll have to revisit it next week.