Jimpress

Welcome to the Jimpress Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 pm 

In this three page article, Many Cosmic Returns, Janie says that Black Gold, the 16 acoustic demos Jimi recorded: "...will be released this decade". She also mentions an Anthology project. However her assertion that Jimi asked Al to be his manager doesn't make sense.

--
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:36 pm 

Nice though bizarre interview. The Anthology project just sounds plain weird, I think I would need a lot more convincing to show an interest in that.

The Black Gold album sounds really interesting, I wonder what Mitch Mitchell's reasons were for keeping hold of it. Perhaps he didn't think it was worth releasing or didn't want it to get into the wrong hands. I guess we just have to wait and see what emerges.

I think she was overstating things when saying all the Valleys of Neptune track were radical reworkings. Bleeding Heart and to an extent Stone Free are quite different and Lover Man is slower but Fire in particular and Red House aren't that different to me. I'm enjoying the album, but in my opinion it's not as radically different as she is making out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:50 pm 

^
I think we are in danger of going down the same road as VoN with the Anthology project. Pre judging the release is a dangerous game as we have seem with VoN.
The Anthologyproject has a lot of scope but it contains many potential pitfalls so yes, treat it with caution. But it’s a little early to be taking a negative view about it.
Black Gold? Next decade? I guess that’ll mean a 2019 release date then ! Looking forward to hearing what bit's of it we are granted the honour of hearing.
In the mean time bring on the RAH material please.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 pm 

Oh I'd certainly not write off the Anthology project, I'm just struggling to understand what it actually is at the moment. Bring on the Royal Albert Hall stuff though, I suspect that'll appear much much sooner than the mysterious Black Gold release.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

I am led to believe the movie/TV special part of the Anthology project is being produced by the BBC. I have been unable to confirm this as yet but it certtainly cheered me up. I seem to be the only person left that considers the BBC to be a national treasure. I suspect any associated releases will be career spanning retrospective(s). My biggest worry is that it will be a ten CD box with two unreleased tracks. Time will tell. We may need another JP special edition.

=============================