Jimpress

Welcome to the Jimpress Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:43 pm 

I am putting this thread in this section of the forum, as discussion about the program airing last week is here as well, and I wanted to provide this perspective after having seen the entire production. So:

Last night I sat down and watched the entire Jimi special from the Bio channel.

Earlier I posted initial thoughts based on a small snippet I saw. Having learned that Bootsy Collins "is" Jimi in this production, but more importantly having learned that all of the verbiage is indeed Jimi's own words, I'll happily eat some crow and say that I really enjoyed this documentary during my full viewing.

To those of us who know Jimi's tale well, there will not be much of anything that will have you sitting up and taking notice. There are plenty of familiar concert excerpts from Monterey, Atlanta, Wight, Fillmore East/Gypsys, etc. When Bootsy is not recreating Jimi's words from interviews that were print or audio-only, we get Jimi himself, largely from the Cavett show. Still, it's very well-done, and I think anyone not intimately familiar with Jimi's life would find this to be a real eye-opener.

Of special note was a lot of film footage I had never seen, along with documents and so on that make brief appearances on the screen. Of course, the brief appearance aspect is something that we will all find frustrating - tantalizing snippets that fade away as the story moves on, when we'd all dearly love to hear the entire song. These are little peeks into the Experience Hendrix collection; sadly - barring unimaginable circumstances - we'll all be dead without ever seeing it all unveiled.

Sonically, running in the background throughout are little multitrack extracts, like Jimi's propulsive riffing from "You Got Me Floating."

So, if you can distance yourself from the teasing aspects of all the things we'd like to see or hear more closely, overall this is a very well-done overview of Jimi's life and thoughts. I’m not sure if it’s bound for commercial release or not – I think it would be a good candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:17 pm 

Frank, thanks.
I hear (I have yet to see this myself) that we get some new footage clips (Berkerely), alt' camera angles of familiar footage (Blackpool) and it's set for release with the Anthology.
More than that I cannot say as I've yet to see it but looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Frank, an interesting insight. It seems that from a mainstream perspective it's a good documentary and that always has to be the consideration if you want to get something aired. Lets hope that we now get some of the interesting stuff brought more to thte fore.

=============================

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:20 pm 

I was intrigued to learn there might be new footage from Berkeley. I have always thought it strange that Peter Pilafian or whoever it was had discarded the footage not used in the original movie. "Hear My Train A'Comin" is one of Jimi's finest performances and it is a travesty that it was edited in the original film.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:47 am 

i have read that the footage was not discarded.one of the enginers at electric lady in the early 70s talks about seeing it at the studio so it was around at one time.if my memory is correct he was talking about additional footage not what was released.berkeley,msg28/1/70 and hawaii 30/7/70 were supposedly sold to the hendrix estate,alan douglas, from the the michael jeffery estate in late 1980.so some of this stuff was around at one time but has since went missing.oops there's my grinding axe again.also this is just what i have read.if it's not correct someone please set the record straight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 pm 

Watched it last night - broadcast on BBC Four. It's on iPlayer too at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tw2db - no longer available (edit Oct 29Th).
I really enjoyed it and it would be a great introduction to anybody not familiar.
My memory aint what it used to be but I was pretty sure that I hadn't previously seen the Blackpool footage in split screen/alternative angles. Other bits looked unfamiliar and maybe the Singer Bowl footage was different/longer - certainly better quality than my copy. I look forward to those with a more agile mind reviewing it in microscopic detail - please.
For us collectors a real good tease.

Last edited by cragtopper on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:17 am 

As fans we can always pick holes in things like this, but from the perspective of a casual viewer, my guess is that it's pretty entertaining, continually moving on to prevent possible boredom. I liked the photo album aspect, where some of the snaps became moving pictures alongside handwritten lyrics. Course you have to suspend your disbelief for Bootsy's interpretation of Jimi's voice, but you get used to it. It was exciting to see the unseen footage, and it left me wanting more - I'm sure that it'll all be released on a Dagger dvd or somesuch eventually.
mal